Cookies ... for breakfast.

My mother never let me eat Cookie Crisp. Apparently, she didn’t think cookies were a well-balance breakfast. (Weird.) Instead, I grew up on Cheerios and Raisin Bran. Every. Single. Morning. So now, as an adult, I like to mix things up. The only problem is I’m scarred. I instinctively turn every cereal box on its side to look at the nutrition information. How I’d love to have my Cookie Crisp, if only it didn’t have 13 grams of sugar in one serving. (And who eats just one serving? I mean, really.)

It looks like the ladies* at Women’s Health had the same mother, and they’ve come up with a pretty swanky solution. Healthy mix-ins. By mixing Lucky Charms and All-Bran (or Cookie Crisp and Cheerios) you can cut your sugar intake in half and still enjoy your favorite morning treat!

It doesn’t just end there. Mix turnip** into your mashed potatoes and save 50 calories and 12 grams of carbs. Mayo can be cut with dijon mustard to thwart 43 calories and 6 grams of fat from sneaking into your sandwich. Even seemingly healthy fruit yogurt (which has 27 grams of sugar!!) can be upgraded with fat-free Greek yogurt***. You’ll double your protein intake while hacking off a third of the sugar.

For more ideas, check out Women’s Health Magazine.



How do you make junk food a little less junkie?




* I’m assuming they’re ladies, but I suppose men could work for Women’s Health, too.
** I don’t like turnip, but I bet cauliflower would work pretty well.
*** I like Fage greek yogurt. Not a fan of Oikos.

“Cookies ... for breakfast.”