Dieting mistakes

A note for Weigh In Challengers: Don't forget tomorrow is Weigh In day. So, don't eat anything salty tonight and email me your update at WeighIn@captivate.com. Good luck!

Sometimes I make mistakes. It’s very rare, but it happens.*

So I was heartened to read an article about dieting mistakes we all make. The whole list sounded very familiar. I thought you'd enjoy reading just a few that hit close to home. Check out the full article here.

1. You starve yourself all day and splurge at night.


Ooh, if my cat could talk. I swear he’s totally judging me from his corner of the couch when I snack at night! According to Active.com, you should cut your evening meal in half, and eat a big breakfast instead.

2. You graze instead of eating regular meals.

Eating this way may actually cause you to gain weight, they say. Instead, stick to a schedule. Use a food journal to track when you’re hungry and what satisfies you.

3. You assume calories from healthy, natural foods are low.

This is my main downfall. I can resist cake because I know it’s bad for me, but put a dish of almonds in front of me and I just go to town!


"Just because a food is healthy doesn't mean you can eat big portions," says D. Milton Stokes, MPH, RD, owner of One Source Nutrition in Stamford, Conn. "A handful of nuts can be 200 calories or more. And if you add that without cutting back elsewhere, it could be the reason you're not losing weight."

4. You eat like a bird for the month before a big event.

Experts say you shouldn’t eat less than 1,200 calories a day because it’ll slow down your metabolism.

5. Your splurge foods are "low-fat" and "sugar-free".

I was the sugar-free fiend for quite a while. I could eat a whole bag of sugar-free cookies. For some reason that doesn’t seem so healthy now. Plus, low-fat, low-sugar treats usually have something else in there. There’s got to be something to make it taste so good.

So how about you? Do any of these things hit close to home? What other mistakes do you make?







*I once thought I could rock a pixie cut with bright red streaks … for about 3 years …

Labels: ,

“Dieting mistakes”

  1. Anonymous xoxo h Says:

    I am sure we have all made those mistakes. But luckily, I am on a better "diet" (no actual dieting involved) and it actually works. I feel more energized and less hungry. 3 meals and two snacks a day! :)

  2. Anonymous Twinky Says:

    we can still look good even without eating too much and be sexy in front of our partners if we would just follow the 10 Hot Tips on Being Sexy