Online addiction

I’m not going to lie. I’m OCD about my internet. Back in college my roommate and I made a bet that each other couldn’t go a week without AIM (back when AIM was the new Twitter). I’m pretty sure we both made it … and we both had a lot more time on our hands. It’s amazing how much time can be wasted online – whether it be checking email, Facebook stalking or actual work. And I don’t know about you, but I feel pretty empty when my internet connection goes down.

Researchers have found a link between internet addiction and depression.

18 internet-addicted people were compared with 18 people who weren’t addicted to the internet. The non-addicted people were not depressed while the addicted people were classified as moderately to severely depressed. Researchers found these people were using the internet to replace real-life socializing.

The winter creates the perfect storm for this. Short days and cold whether keep us indoors and online. So make an effort to get outside, stay active and ban yourself from the internet for a day. See if you can.

How much time do you spend online?


Labels: , ,

“Online addiction”