Giving up gum

I have a problem. Some people go through packs of cigarettes. I go through packs of gum. It didn’t start out that way. At first, it was just a piece here and a piece there to curb my appetite, and then before I realized it, I turned into a chain chewer.

There are others out there like me.

We try to hide it, but eventually those empty wrappers catch up to us and the office cleaning lady gives us a knowing look as she empties our trash full of evidence.



But I’m coming out of the gum closet for a reason today. For today, I’ve given up those tiny pink rectangles of chewy goodness. For the next 40 days, I’m going gumless. I’m sure gum wasn’t what Jesus had in mind when he set up that whole Lent business, but it works for me.


This isn’t meant to be a churchy post. I just wanted to show how you can use any reason, any season, any excuse to make a change in your life. Hopefully the Holy Ghost will help me resist my urge to chew gum.

What’s your vice? Have you ever tried giving it up? What worked for you?

Labels: , , ,

“Giving up gum”