How do you treat a Halloween hangover?

With something sweet, of course. But this is a health blog, guys. Come on. I’ve got to be a good influence on you.

So here’s a recipe for a healthy pumpkin loaf* I whipped up this weekend. I tweaked this recipe to make it even better for you. Feel free to fool around with it yourself. I used less sugar and substituted I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter for the real thing. Sometimes I use just egg whites instead of the whole egg, but this time I used the yolk too. I also used honey instead of white sugar.

2¼ cups whole-wheat flour

2 tsp baking powder


1 tsp baking soda


½ tsp salt


1 Tbs pumpkin pie spice


2 sticks of I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter


½ cup brown sugar


1/3 cup honey

¼ sugar in the raw


4 eggs


1 can of pumpkin puree (or mashed summer squash or sweet potatoes)


Mix everything together, pour the batter in a loaf pan and bake for 70 minutes at 350. If you want to make muffins instead of a loaf, bake each batch for about 40 minutes.


If you don’t have a can of pumpkin, grab that lonely pumpkin on your front porch. Just cut it in half, take out the seeds and put the pumpkin cut-side down on a baking sheet with an inch or so of water. Bake it until it’s soft (up to 2 hours depending on size). Scoop out the meat and puree it in a food processor or blender. Be careful. You’ll end up with lots of pumpkin puree!



*Of course this would taste awesome with a Cinnamon Brown Sugar Buttercream frosting. But I wouldn’t tell you about that. ‘Cause it would be really irresponsible of me to have you make something so unhealthy. So don’t.



Labels:

“How do you treat a Halloween hangover?”